Welcome to IPSL! If you have any questions during the application process, please feel free to call or email us and we will be happy to assist you. Remember to save your application as you go so that you can come back later to finish it.
Students from all schools and majors can apply. See specific details on eligibility and language requirements in the Program Facts chart on each program Overview page.
Your final application package will consist of:
Main application form (online or paper...your choice) – provides IPSL with important personal and contact information, details about your academics and language abilities, community service experience (if you have any) and preferences, and transcript information.
A quick reflection from one of our online videos of IPSL students actually doing service.
Recommendations – 2 recommendations are required; ideally, one from someone who knows your academic work, and the other from a supervisor for a paid or volunteer job. This is a standard reference form found in the download, which is part of the online application.
Official transcript (you order these from your home institution and ask that they be sent to IPSL)
$75 application fee (check or credit card)
Detailed instructions are included with the application. ALL of your application materials must be received before we can review your application.
Applications are evaluated as they are received. Early application is encouraged, as the program may fill before the official deadline. We look for students who demonstrate maturity, intellectual motivation, and a desire to serve.
When the complete application has been received by IPSL, you will be notified of the decision on your application within approximately three weeks.
If you are accepted into the program, you will then be asked to submit additional materials, which include a contract of participation, medical form, insurance information, photos, publicity form, and deposit.
Application Deadlines - See each program page for exact dates
Fall Semester Term- approximately June 1st
Spring Semester Term - between approximately November 1st to December 1st
Summer Term - approximately May 1st
A Note About Graduate Application and Admissions
Applicants for the Graduate Program in International Development & Service should click on the GRADUATE tab for details on the program.
Applications are evaluated as they are received. Early application is encouraged, as the program may fill before the official deadline. We look for students who demonstrate maturity, a desire to serve others, flexibility, and intellectual motivation.
IPSL Undergraduate & Graduate Program CANCELLATION POLICIES
* Application fees are non-refundable at all times.
* Applicants who are not accepted receive a full refund of the deposit.
* The IPSL deposit is non-refundable.
Should circumstances require IPSL to cancel a program before it starts, students will be notified and offered a comparable program in which to participate, where possible. If for any reason a comparable program cannot be offered, a full refund of any fees and the deposit will be issued.
IPSL makes every effort to ensure that programs operate as described in the published materials. Occasionally, however, circumstances dictate that changes in the service, academic study, academic excursions, and/or housing be made. As long as the altered arrangements enable the student to complete the required academic work, no refund or reduction of fees will be made.
All fees are fully payable 30 days prior to program start date. IPSL makes financial investments at our program sites abroad for the benefit of students. These financial commitments are non-refundable, even when a student withdraws. Therefore, we are unable to issue a refund to any student who withdraws within thirty (30) days of the start of a program or after the program has begun.
Each IPSL student must sign the Contract of Participation. A student who is in violation of that Contract, and who is dismissed as a result, will not receive a refund.
A student may defer up to 12 months the start date of a program.
Deferment requests must be made in writing at least thirty (30) days before the published start date of a program. The deposit for the original program is non-refundable. An additional deposit will be required at that time, however, to guarantee a place in the future program. No secondary deposit is required for students deferring due to a verifiable medical emergency.
IPSL reserves the right to retain foreign transcripts until all IPSL programs fees have been paid in full.
IPSL Masters in International Development & Service CANCELLATION POLICY
* Application fees are non-refundable at all times.
* IPSL deposit is non-refundable.
* Applicants who are not accepted receive a full refund of the deposit.
Should circumstances require IPSL to cancel a program before it begins, students will be notified and a full refund of any fees for an upcoming quarter will be issued.
IPSL makes every effort to ensure that programs operate as described in the published material. Occasionally, however, circumstances dictate that changes in the service, academic study, academic excursions, and/or housing be made. As long as the altered arrangements enable the student to complete the required academic work, no refund or reduction of fees will be made.
All fees are fully payable 30 days prior to the start of a semester and 30 days prior to the IPSL study abroad program site start date. IPSL makes financial investments at our program sites abroad for the benefit of students. These financial commitments are non-refundable, even when a student withdraws. Therefore, we are unable to issue a refund to any student who withdraws within thirty days of the start of a program term or after the program term has begun.
IPSL CONTRACT OF PARTICIPATION - Undergraduate and Graduate Programs
Participants of IPSL programs are expected to:
- Exhibit sensitivity to the host culture;
- Respect and follow the rules and expectations as mandated by the sending and host institutions;
- Remain in good academic standing at all times while on the program;
- Adhere to the local rules and laws; and
- Accept and respect the IPSL host family agreement policies.
IPSL reserves the right to require withdrawal of any participant for reasons of, in IPSL’s sole determination, unacceptable personal conduct and/or academic participation. A participant shall not be entitled to any refund if such participant is dismissed by IPSL. The process for dismissal may proceed as follows, however the Program Director reserves the right to accelerate the disciplinary action as determined by the offense. In all instances of dismissal, whether verbal, written or last chance, IPSL will be informed and will in turn notify the sending institution of each instance of dismissal. The Program Director will notify a participant of a concern initially as a verbal warning. However, should a further or new violation occur, the Program Director will issue a written warning. Upon further instance, the Program Director and participant will craft a “last chance” agreement for mutual signature. Participants will be dismissed from the program and sent home immediately upon first violation of terms of the “last chance” agreement, and such dismissal shall not be appealable. IPSL reserves the right to dismiss a participant immediately if the Program Director, in his or her sole and absolute discretion, believes the participant’s behavior to warrant immediate dismissal.
Please read the following basic and inviolable rules of behavior of your IPSL Contract of Participation:
- I agree to the terms of the IPSL Cancellation Policy, which is also posted on the IPSL website.
- I agree to read the program handbook and “How to Serve & Learn Abroad Effectively”.
- I understand that IPSL service-learning™ placements are determined in part by student interests and skills (and, in some cases, language proficiency), but first and foremost by community needs, and that central to the philosophy of service-learning™ is the notion of service. Further, I understand that service-learning™ is not the same as an internship or practicum although it may look very similar on the surface.
- I agree to maintain an adequate standard of academic, public, and personal behavior while a student of IPSL.
- I agree to first establish direct communication with the on-site Program Director should I have a programmatic question or safety concern. In turn the Program Director will speak directly with the IPSL staff as necessary.
- I understand that as an adult (over 18 years of age), I am the Client of IPSL for the purpose of this program. As such, any and all communication regarding program issues or questions will be exchanged between IPSL and myself. Should my parent or Guardian need information about my program, I (as the Client ) will secure the information from IPSL and convey theinformation to them directly as needed. IPSL will abide by standard privacy policies regarding my participation. As part of my participation, I will sign a release of information describing the authorization for IPSL and their representatives to share personal information on a need-to-know basis with the person(s) I designate.
- I recognize that the in‐country Program Director has the authority to make program decisions on behalf of IPSL. I also recognize that the Program Director may designate/delegate others affiliated with the program to make decisions on behalf of the program.
- I agree to serve under the direction of service agency supervisors and abide by the philosophy, structure, and regulations of the agency.
- I will not participate in any political activities during the period of the program.
- I realize that illegal drugs in any form are not tolerated and are the grounds for immediate expulsion from the program.
- I understand that violent behavior will result in automatic dismissal from the program.
- I understand that sexual behavior deemed disruptive by the Program Director to the program or offensive to the host culture may result in immediate dismissal from the program.
- I must abide by all laws and practices of the host country. I understand that breaches of local law of the host community or country are referred to and handled by the appropriate law enforcement authorities. Any legal response is not the responsibility of IPSL, and often there is very little IPSL or the governing authorities of one’s country or sending institution can do to help.
- I agree to release IPSL, its employees and its agents from responsibility for actions or activities taken by me outside those scheduled by the program, or taken by me without the authority/approval of those representing the program.
- I agree to release IPSL, its employees and its agents from responsibility for actions or activities taken by me before or after the program dates, including travel within the program country or to other countries.
- If I decide to remain in the program country or travel elsewhere after the official end of the program, I accept sole responsibility for all consequences associated with so doing, including but not limited to: (a) changing the date of my air ticket to accommodate the delayed departure; (b) attending to the dates of my visa (if necessary) and any changes beyond those obtained as part of the program; (c) my own travel, living, safety and security; and (d) my health insurance ending at the published program departure date.
- I understand that ALL academic work, including the service-learning™ reflections seminar, must be completed and submitted before the program’s end date (with the exception of the 3‐week India program, for which ALL academic work is due within one month of the program’s end date). It is my responsibility to ensure that the appropriate faculty member receives this work. If work is not received by this deadline, I understand that a grade of “F” will appear on my official transcript and that this grade is final and cannot be changed.
- I understand that as a student of IPSL, I will be viewed as a representative of my country, my family, my college, and IPSL. It is my intention to act as a goodwill ambassador and conduct myself in a fitting manner.
- Limits of Responsibility regarding Visa: I understand it is the participant’s responsibility to complete the required steps to obtain a visa, if necessary, and to make sure s/he has the correct visa documents before departure from the US. It is in the sole and independent discretion of the foreign Consulate or Embassy to decide whether, when, and with what limitations to grant any and all visas, and neither IPSL nor any of its employees or affiliates can alter the outcome of this process in any way. I agree that I will begin the visa application process (if required for my program) as soon as the visa regulations allow (initial) ______. I agree that I will follow the most updated visa requirements that are available from the Embassy or Consulate in my jurisdiction (initial) _______. I agree that failure to secure my visa on time or at all WILL NOT release me from my contractual and financial obligations to IPSL (initial) _______.
- I hereby release IPSL, including its directors and officers, its employees and agents, as well as my college, the college of the host country, the service agencies, and any other participating organizations, and each of their officers, directors, managers, principals, employees and agents of any and all responsibilities and liability of any nature whatsoever for any loss of property or personal injury occurring during my participation in the service‐learning program.
- I understand that IPSL acts as agent only and accepts no responsibility for loss, damage, or injury resulting from delay or any kind of negligence of any transportation company, agency or service, or from any other cause whatsoever.
- I understand that the following inherently dangerous activities are neither covered by program insurance nor condoned by IPSL: mountaineering (where ropes or guides are normally used), hang gliding, parachuting, bungee jumping, racing by horse, racing by motor vehicle, racing by motorcycle, and parasailing.
- I agree to indemnify and hold harmless IPSL from any and all legal actions taken against me as a result of my activities while a participant in the program.
- I agree to assume all responsibility for any and all debt incurred during the program by myself (son, daughter, or ward), including the cost of telephone calls (including modem usage), wire transfers, transportation, or living expenses.
- I agree to the terms of IPSL insurance policy and understand that it is mandatory and included in the cost of the program.
- I agree that I shall not be entitled to any refunds for any reason, whether I voluntarily leave the program or I am dismissed or expelled from the program. Nor shall I be entitled to any refund in the event the program is called short as a result of acts of god, war, political unrest, forces of nature or other events outside IPSL’s control.
- I understand that IPSL cannot guarantee that my sending institution will accept the academic credit of this program, or that I will remain actively enrolled in my home institution, while participating in the program. It is my responsibility as the student to verify the above with my sending institution prior to departure and forfeiting my program payment.
- I understand and agree that should I be removed from this experiential program for any reason, IPSL will notify certain persons listed by me on my application and my signature hereby authorizes IPSL to so notify these persons and hereby release any right of confidentiality/privacy under FERPA or any other State of Federal law as to such information.
- I agree to participate fully in the experiential program by attending all planned course activities, including activities required by either the program itself or by the leaders of the program in which I am enrolled. Regardless of on-campus class attendance policy, I understand that I am expected to maintain regular class attendance.
- I understand that I am responsible for any and all non-recoverable costs to IPSL arising out of my voluntary or involuntary withdrawal from the experiential course at any date past the deposit deadline, including but not limited to: airfare, excursions, housing, on-site transportation, meals, insurance, and course materials.
- I further understand that I am solely responsible for any and all costs arising out of my voluntary or involuntary withdrawal from the experiential program prior to its completion, including withdrawal caused by illness or disciplinary action by representative(s) of IPSL.
- In consideration of being afforded this opportunity to participate in this IPSL experiential academic program, I, for myself, my heirs, successors or assigns, hereby release and hold harmless IPSL, LLC, its Owners and individual Directors, agents, servants, and employees, course advisors/sponsors/directors, from any and all claims, demands, causes of injury, for property damage, physical injury or death arising out of my participation in the program, including damages, injury, or death arising from the negligence of the aforesaid parties. I am knowledgeable of the possible dangers of travel in the experiential program, such as: terrorism, hijacking, kidnapping, or death. I, for myself, my heirs, successors or assigns, hereby assume any and all risks attendant to the experiential program described herein.
I have read the above conditions and my signature indicates that I agree to them.